Position Title: Weekend Support Assistant
Hours of duty: Saturday & Sunday 09:00 - 17:00
Salary: £9.90 per hour
Falcon Support Services provides supported accommodation and community projects to those that are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or vulnerable in the community.
Our service helps vulnerable people by providing safe and secure accommodation with our staff working alongside clients to help them develop their skills, so they can move away from homelessness to living independently and positively contribute to their community.
The role is challenging and rewarding with opportunities to learn, grow, and develop within Falcon Support Services. In this varied role, you will provide overnight waking cover to Falcon Support Services which includes supporting adults with complex needs who may be experiencing a range of problems such as:
- Substance Misuse
- Mental Health
- Fleeing domestic violence
- Ex offending
You must have a genuine interest in helping people to make changes in their lives and an understanding of the types of issues that affect those that are homeless, as well as a dedication to Falcon Support Services values and performance standards.
To provide high-quality accommodation, housing management and support to homeless people.
To empower clients to make positive changes and informed choices in moving towards independent living.
To work with clients on a mutually agreed support plan/programme to achieve positive outcomes.
To assist with the daily operations of the project ensuring services are delivered efficiently.
- To communicate effectively and appropriately with clients, staff, other organisations and members of the public using and/or working with our organisation.
- Carry out the practical tasks required of the job being continuously aware of any risks presented by the working environment and consistently acting in a way to minimise these risks
- Controlling and recording access to and from the building, following the booking in and welcoming procedures
- Completing relevant monitoring for the service, including monitoring and responding to rent arrears and collection of weekly personal charge/service charge
- Assistance in applying for eligible benefits including Housing/Council Tax Benefits
- Encouraging, promoting, and providing service user involvement in education, training and employment and volunteering
- Effectively implement support plans/Risk Assessments and Needs Assessments
- To work with staff and clients to develop and follow clients support plans. This will include liaising with outside agencies for the benefit of the client.
- To provide appropriate advice on current applications for homeless assistance, council accommodation and housing association accommodation.
- To be alert to the health and wellbeing of all clients, reporting any concerns to the Accommodation Manager and/or appropriate agencies
- To ensure that routine inspection of the premises is carried out and to report any damages and/or repairs to the Accommodation Manager or Maintenance.
- To undertake/attend any training and/or meetings as required by the job role.
- To promote a positive image of Falcon Support Services, working as part of an integrated team.
- To maintain and protect the security and safety of the premises.
- To control access and have a visible presence on the premises and provide support to residents, visitors, and staff in a professional and friendly manner.
- To monitor CCTV to identify any incidents and take prompt and appropriate action.
- Reporting breaches of security and damage to the fabric of the building to the appropriate authority and staff and calling ‘approved’ contractors to cover emergency repairs to maintain security and safety of the building where required.
- To complete and provide any documentation, reports, statistics, and any other information required by Falcon Support Services and/or any other agency.
- To effectively use IT systems to maintain precise and accurate documentation in line with Falcon Support Services procedures, including client files and entries into the program databases/risk logs.
- To ensure that all support plan actions, and risk assessments/risk management plans are completed and up to date, and then reviewed monthly at staff 1-2-1’s.
- To be responsible for the development, and implementation of procedures and codes of working practice to form part of a comprehensive quality approach to service delivery.
- Respond to telephone enquiries, correspondence, and callers to the service
Ensuring high standards of cleanliness are maintained throughout the building
- Ensuring property is clean and tidy and carrying out inspections of the communal parts of the building.
Compliance / Health and Safety
- To adhere to all Falcon Support Services policies and procedures as well as any specific local procedures.
- Report concerns appropriately, such as adult and child safeguarding issues and substantial risk.
- Where appropriate, to ensure that the terms of license agreements are adhered to and address any problems arising from this requirement.
- To ensure that all required documentation is completed and actioned for new clients moving into the project in particular housing benefit applications/risk assessments/ needs assessments
- Every employee has a responsibility to ensure that their work complies with the Financial Regulations of the charity.
- Due to the nature of work, this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and will therefore require you to disclose all criminal convictions and comply with a Criminal Records Bureau check.
- To develop Falcon Support Services commitment to equal opportunities and to promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaken.
- All employees are required by Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- To work co-operatively with other members of the team, constructively contributing to team meetings, covering office duty, and assisting with the smooth running of the service.
- Show willingness to assist and cover for colleagues when they are absent.
- Mentor and support students and/or volunteers in the service.
- To develop team spirit and co-operative working across all teams, internal and external.
- To effectively work with a range of multi-disciplinary partners, support providers and funders in both the statutory and voluntary sector.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list but to indicate the primary responsibilities of the post, such additional duties may be undertaken which are reasonably commensurate with the level of the post. It will be reviewed periodically to consider changes and developments in service requirements. Any changes will be discussed fully with the jobholder.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Ability to work in customer care and quality-focused manner
- Ability to deal with difficult situations, aggressive behaviours, and handle conflict appropriately
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Be physically able to respond quickly and effectively in emergency situations
- The ability to undertake general housekeeping tasks in line with the job description
- The ability to understand the needs of people from diverse, cultural, social and racial backgrounds.
- Understand the needs of people who have drug, alcohol, behavioural or mental health issues
- Experience in completing support plans, risk & needs assessments
- Experience in empowering individuals to make informed choices/positive change
- A strong and demonstratable commitment to promoting Falcon Support Services approach to equality and diversity in all work undertaken
Falcon Support Services is equipped to train and support people who do not have relevant skills and experience but do have the right values, behaviours, and attitudes.
- Must be over the age of 18
- Willingness to undergo a satisfactory enhanced DBS check