Position Title: Community Support Worker
Hours of duty: 35 per week including some weekends
Salary: £10.25 per hour
Contract: Fixed Term for 18 Months
Falcon Support Services provides supported accommodation and community projects to those that are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or vulnerable in the community.
Our service helps vulnerable people by providing safe and secure accommodation with our staff working alongside clients to help them develop their skills, so they can move away from homelessness to living independently and positively contribute to their community.
The Drop In is a day centre with the aim of providing a safe and meaningful space for people to engage with and access services. We believe that everyone has the right to feel safe, accepted, valued and not to be judged for any situations they may be facing and should have access to basic needs, advice, support and opportunities to create a better everyday life.
As Community Support Worker you will run Drop In Satellite services across Leicestershire, with the aim of providing a safe and meaningful space for people to engage with and access services. We believe that everyone has the right to feel safe, accepted, valued and not to be judged for any situations they may be facing and should have access to basic needs, advice, support and opportunities to create a better everyday life. The service addresses immediate needs and moves people from being at a ‘pre-engagement’ stage to ‘engagement’ using an informal key working approach. Our service is prevention focused, based on meeting service users’ needs with no time restraints and generally enables access to all.
Falcon Support Services are equipped to train and support people who do not have relevant skills and experience but do have the right values, behaviours, and attitudes.
- To work with clients on identified support needs, empowering clients to make positive changes and informed choices in moving forward
- To appropriately liaise with and signpost to appropriate agencies
- To work within Falcon Support Services policies and procedures, as well as any local procedures or relating to partnership agencies
- To ensure that behaviour of service users is appropriate, and address any problems arising from this requirement
- Effectively implement Risk Assessments and Support Packages
- To be alert to the health and wellbeing of all clients, reporting any concerns to the Community Manager
- Prepare food parcels ready for distribution
- To work co-operatively with other members of the team including volunteers, constructively contributing to team meetings, and assisting with the smooth running of the service
- To show willingness to and does assist and cover for colleagues and/or volunteers when they are absent
- To communicate effectively and appropriately with clients, staff, volunteers, other organisations and members of the public using and/or working with our organisation. The list is not exhaustive, but includes the use of social media, websites, phone, email and others
- To effectively work with a range of multi-disciplinary partners, support providers and funders in both the statutory and voluntary sector and attend forums and networking meetings where deemed appropriate
- Develop and attend community fundraising events
- To provide Social Media material to promote the Drop In service
- Take up management of the Drop In, including:
- following the booking in and welcoming procedures
- completing relevant monitoring and statistics collation for the service
- responding to telephone enquiries, correspondence and callers to the service
- taking action to address any immediate risks
- Opening and closing of the Drop In
- Carry out the practical tasks required of the job being continuously aware of any risks presented by the working environment and consistently acting in a way to minimise these risks
- To assist with hygiene checks ensuring we meet the hygiene ratings regulations and where appropriate assist in the cooking and serving
- To ensure that routine inspection of the premises is carried out and to report any damages and/or repairs to the appropriate agencies
- Reporting any complaints to your line manager
- To complete and provide any documentation, reports, statistics, and any other information required by Falcon Support Services and/or any other agency.
- To effectively use IT systems to maintain precise and accurate documentation in line with Falcon Support Services procedures, including client files and entries into the program databases/risk logs.
- To be responsible for the development, and implementation of procedures and codes of working practice to form part of a comprehensive quality approach to service delivery.
Compliance / Health and Safety
- To adhere to all of Falcon Support Services policies and procedures as well as any specific local procedures.
- Report concerns appropriately, such as adult and child safeguarding issues and substantial risk.
- Where appropriate, to ensure that the terms of license agreements are adhered to and address any problems arising from this requirement.
- To ensure that all required documentation is completed and actioned for new clients moving into the project in particular housing benefit applications/risk assessments/ needs assessments
- Every employee has a responsibility to ensure that their work complies with the Financial Regulations of the charity.
- Due to the nature of work, this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and will therefore require you to disclose all criminal convictions and comply with a Criminal Records Bureau check.
- To develop Falcon Support Services commitment to equal opportunities and to promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaken.
- All employees are required by Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Professional or personal experience of working with those struggling with addiction or in recovery
- Experience of empowering individuals to make informed choices/positive change
- Ability to work in a customer care and quality focused manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Ability to caseload and prioritise conflicting demands
- Experience in working and engaging as part of a team
- The ability to understand the needs of people from diverse, cultural, social and racial backgrounds
- Understand the needs of people who have drug/ alcohol issues
- Falcon Support Services are equipped to train and support people who do not have relevant skills and experience but do have the right values, behaviours, and attitudes.
- Must be over the age of 18
- Willingness to undergo a satisfactory enhanced DBS check
- Have access to a vehicle for business purposes
- Hold a valid driving licence
- Have business car insurance